Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Bunching Onions

I started these bunching onions because I actually intended to use them in my cooking. However, as usual, I never got around to it and they started to flower. Oh, what wonderful flowers they are! I left them in the ground to see if they would come back, and they have for the last 6 years.

I like them in a huge bunch like this. I also let them seed out in some of my other gardens. They are even growing in a garden that is mostly shade! So they are versatile as well. Plus all the little extra plants that I thin out can be eaten. Yummy!

These actually bloomed about a month ago. Oops. I can't always be on top of things. That's why I love plants that need no special care- I'll forget to do it. These onions need nothing, except maybe a little staking when they get really tall and the flowers are heavy. These ones did just fine this year until a big storm bent some of them over. And really, I never stake them. I just let them bend where ever they want.

4 comments:

OldRoses said...

Onions are alliums, a name I am sure you will recognize. All those beautiful alliums you see in catalogs are just decorative onions!

Sylvana said...

OldRoses- I think these are plenty decorative!

Sandy said...

These are very cool.

Sylvana said...

yeah, they are so weird. Both me and my husband like weird plants.