Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Cl. Charisma


This is the climbing rose that the trellis was made for. It reminds me of fire. I like fire. Did I mention that I'm a bit of a pyro? I have two grills, 4 tiki torches, 6 glass lanterns, 2 wrought iron lanterns, and a fire bowl to quench my fire making desires. In fact, you can see the fire pit behind this rose.

This rose is a Everlasting Floribunda "Cl. Charisma". I don't know much about it. We bought it from a local department store. When we picked it out, I mostly got it for its color since there was no scent to the flowers. The leaves were a dark green with a little purple edging. The flowers, well, you can see for yourself. They just sell the plant! Who cares if it smells like anything!

We had it for about three weeks when my husband said that he could smell the roses as he was walking up to the house. At first I thought that he was talking about the white one that we had bought with Charisma since that one did have a scent (and a strong one at that). Then I remembered that the white one hadn't had a bloom on it for about a week- so it couldn't be that one. I went out onto the patio, and sure enough, Charisma does have a scent; and a very nice one at that! I guess it was just shy around all those other roses at the store. Or maybe it just really likes me!

6 comments:

Kasmira said...

Gorgeous! I want to add more roses to my yard, but I don't know what to buy. I only know that I don't want the ubiquitous knock out roses. They are becoming as common as stella d'oros!

Sylvana said...

You could get some heirloom roses. They are tried and true. I just put a link in my side bar for an heirloom rose website.

Otherwise, I wouldn't know. I have never had any luck getting a rose to come back. I'm hoping that this is my lucky year!

crazygramma said...

That is a beautiful rose. I may have to get one too! But then I would need another arbor. Hmmmm I see money jumping out of my purse once again.

Sandy said...

I have a love/hate thing with roses. I love them in other peoples gardens. I hate them in mine. I don't grow them well! I have three left and two are getting the boot when summer is over. I have tried...but I have failed!

OldRoses said...

David Austin roses are good if you want the heirloom look all summer instead if just for a few weeks. I've heard that they are not as hardy as heirlooms, though.

Sylvana said...

Crazy Gramma, money is like mercury to me, too!
Thanks for the tip on the roses, Old Roses and Scbnymph.
Sandy, you are not alone in your issues with roses. Believe me!