Thursday, July 28, 2005

Holy Hibiscus!

Here is the flower from the main plant of the Plum Crazy hardy hibiscus that I saved awhile back. The very first bloom (you can see it darkened and withered in the right lower corner of this picture) came out the first morning SSBs grandparents from Arkansas came to visit. I told them that it bloomed just for them.

The blooms last just a day, but they are well worth having these beautiful giants in the garden. This flower is almost as big as my head.
Here is a wider shot of the plant. I'm hoping that there are plenty of extra shoots. I want tons of these flowers next year!

I am thinking of trying to protect them over the winter with some mulch. They don't come up until really late in the season, so I think that would be a very good idea. I have them in a well drained area as well. I'm hoping that will help keep them from getting too wet in the spring.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a gorgeous flower!

Sylvana said...

I really like the pink-purple colors. I have that color all over my garden!

Anonymous said...

That's a colour I could use in my garden to spark things up a bit. Even the foliage is a neat colour.

Sandy said...

I agree with Sabine.

Sylvana said...

The foliage is a wonderful bonus to this plant. So even when it isn't flowering, it looks great. And this one plant has already had 7 flowers bloom on it. I will have to remember to give it an extra feeding before winter.