Thursday, July 07, 2005

Dilemma


Right before we left for the Northwoods last Friday Our dog found these little guys in our yard. He's a Jack Russell mix so he's into finding rodents. He doesn't do them any harm (or at least hasn't yet), he just likes to play with them. We counted three Friday night, then four Saturday morning.

Monday, he dug them out again and I counted 6! Six little bunnies. Now I don't like rabbits, and I was seriously considering letting my dog chase them away (they are now big enough to run), but they are just so cute. I couldn't stand it if they got hurt. Plus, how could I live with my dog if he did them harm?

A rabbit has had her babies in our yard 4 of the 8 years that we have lived in this house. I really don't like that I am contributing to those nasty little rodents that eat up my plants and other gardeners plants every year. But they are so cute! And it's not like I'm trying to attract them! I do have a dog running the yard after all. I bet those damn bunnies know that he won't hurt them, but he keeps other animals away that would. Those wascally wabbits!

5 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Oh, boy, you do have quite a dilemma. They can certainly wreck your garden. Personally, I would have to put my plants in jeopardy and watch them grow. How often do you get to see this? Oh, I forgot, you said you have already seen it 4 times -- LOL. Nature is a wonderous thing.

OldRoses said...

I've got a bunny problem too. But they are so cute! I'm not even mad that they are eating my tulip bulbs. At least until fall when I plant bulbs for my failing Green Garden. I want SOMETHING to grow there so I am going to try the cat fur trick. Thankfully I have a long-haired cat who sheds constantly so I will have a good supply of fur to put around the bulbs and hopefully discourage the hungry bunnies.

crazygramma said...

I am amazed the dog has not worried them to death. But I am a bunny lover and used to have some as pets.

Sylvana said...

I'm more irritated at the gangs of cats roaming my garden than these little bunnies. To that I say, "Dog, chase away!!"

To keep bunnies out of your bulbs lay a piece of chicken wire on the ground either under the mulch or under the last 1" of soil. This has worked great for me.

Sylvana said...

Zoey, thanks for pointing out my spelling "durh". I'm usually a very good speller.