Friday, July 01, 2005

Behind the Rope, Please

A couple of posts ago I said that I would give instructions on how to make the containments that I use for my lilies. Here is a picture of them in use:This one is a new one, but by the end of the season it will be weathered to a nice gray-brown so it won't stand out as much. I like these because they kind of look like those ropes that hold people back at important events, or even like piers when they are weathered. They also let me know the area that the plant will come up in the spring.
These are the materials that you will need for this. The stakes came in a package of about 30. These need to be thick, heavy stakes. Mine are pine, which will weather nicely, but will also rot quickly. You can also get cedar stakes (but they might be harder to screw into). The rope that I used is a sisal 1/2". The way that I attach the rope to the stakes is with copper pipe straps and zinc 8x1/2 screws.
Cut the amount of rope that you will need to get around the plant that you are making it for. I always make it a little bigger so that the plant has room to fill in. I attach the rope about 1/2-1" from the top of the stake. The two ends of the rope are overlapped and attached under one of the copper straps on one of the four stakes. Once the rope is attached to all the stakes, the stakes can be hammered into place around the plant with a rubber mallet.

6 comments:

SierraBella said...

I love this!
You are so creative.
Thanks for the instructions, even I could do this.

I inherited a railroad tie border, but (maybe) I could move them to a hillside and use for terracing.

OldRoses said...

Pure genius! Who does the drilling? I'm so lame. Since my entire backyard is surrounded by a chainlink fence, I just tie everything to the fence!

Diana LaMarre said...

Great idea and good instructions. Thank you.

Sylvana said...

Sierrabella- Thanks *blush*. They come in handy for a lot of different plants too, like peony, roses and I even used it for cinquefoil.

OldRose- If you mean drilling to get the screws in, you don't need to drill, not for pine anyway. The screws just go in! How convenient is that?

Zoey- thanks. I like good, clear, easy to follow instructions with lots of pictures. So I try to do that for others.

Kasmira said...

How timely! I've got yellow "daisies" (not sure what they are!) that are flopping all over the place. I may try this project to corral them!

Sylvana said...

Kasmira- I have used this for lighter stemmed plants such as cinquefoil and it looks just as great with them.