Friday, July 08, 2005

Seed vs. Store Started


I have decided that from now on I will be planting more seeds rather than spending so much on started plants. These two pictures are of the same kind of petunia "Plum Pudding". The picture with just two plants is showing ones that I started from seed about a month ago. The other one is showing a bunch of about four plants that I bought from the store and planted about two months ago. Which do you think looks better? I personally find that the overall plant of those that I sowed directly in the garden look far better. Plus they were way cheaper. One packet of about 50 seeds cost the same as the pack of four plants. Now that's a bargain.

4 comments:

OldRoses said...

The plants you purchased were force fed fertilizer and grown under lights to fool them into growing and flowering early so that they would sell better. Poor things!

The ones you grew from seeds are growing the way nature meant them too which is why they look better.

I try to grow as much from seed as I can. It's much cheaper than plants which I usually manage to kill anyways.

crazygramma said...

I have grown alot from seed this year since I have gotten tired of the expense of ready to go plants. I find that I seem to enjoy them more as well.

Sylvana said...

OldRoses- that is so great! My husband said the very same thing!

CrazyGramma- I think I will enjoy them more too. It will be more to the earth; which is why I garden anyway.

Sylvana said...

SCBNymph- What is funny is that I have thought about doing thisbefore, and was even making plans for it last week. I will defintly try it this year!