Monday, June 20, 2005

If You Don't Like the Weather In Wisconsin...

wait a minute. That's the old saying here. I am experiencing the truth of that saying right now. It has been hot and sunny since about 9am. I got off from work at 11am went to the dentist (clean bill of health!) then picked up my son at theatre camp. When I got home I was so hot and tired that I decided to relax a little. After all, it was hot and sunny, there was time to get to those plants that I bought yesterday.

I dropped my son off at Tae Kwon Do then came home to plant those little beauties. I fell into quite a deal yesterday. I got fifteen 4in potted perennials for $45! They had gotten big enough to put in the gallon pots, but the nursery wasn't going to do that until Monday. If I had waited to stop there, the same plants would have been three times as much!

I had bought 4 more delphiniums (2 "Cherry Blossom" and 2 "Black Knight" I actually thought they'd be darker- oh well). I have had extremely good luck with delphiniums. And they are just lovely. There aren't any other gardens around here that have them either, so I feel special. My favorite of all are "Guinevere". I was lucky enough to find them this year to replace the only one that I had, and had lost last year. But that's aside from this story...
I also got 2 pots of mixed helenium, which I absolutely love but have been having trouble growing. I got it to grow once, but it was being taken over by rasberries and needed to be moved. It did not like being moved- or maybe it didn't like where I moved it. Either way, I have not had any luck with it since.
There are 2 pots of "Golden Queen" globeflower. Another one that I have had a lot of trouble growing although everyone I tell that to proceeds to tell me how easy it is to grow. Maybe this is my year!
Two pots of "Princess Victoria Louise" Oriental poppy. I love the non-orange Oriental poppies, but I have trouble keeping them alive for more than three years. Try, try again.
Two pots of Wartburg star aster. It is a light lilac color with a gold eye. I was told that these too were easy to grow, so I will probably kill them.
Then I picked up some of the stranger plants for added interest. My husband especially likes the strange plants. I got a pot each of Edelweiss, "Voodoo" sedum (really pretty, and I never have trouble with sedum), and donkeytail spurge. That last one I don't think I have ever heard of before, but it qualifies as weird.

So where was I? Oh yes! I just got home and was proceeding to get the plants in the ground before I forgot about them. (This is something that I do a lot. I buy a bunch of plants and then never get them in the ground. What a waste of money and plant life! ) I got all my stuff outside, dug a hole, got one plant in the ground and then the wind came out of nowhere! I looked up and the sky was turning black. CRAP! I scurried to gather all my water perishables (like my camera) into the house along with the new plants. The wind was really starting to howl and blow things around. I scrambled to complete the severe thunderstorm garden checklist (folding up chairs and tables, securing the greenhouse, weighting down the kangaroo containers -these are cool, get them if you find them- Target has them for about $12 each). As I was herding the dog into the house, hail began to fall. Sucky, SUCK SUCK! I hate hail!! (I have a history with hail that I may recount someday).

So there go my plans for getting the stuff planted. And now you and I both know why some of my plants never make it into the ground. I have the best of intentions, but stuff like this always happens to get in my way when I'm trying to get something done. But, I guess, considering the hail, maybe it was devine intervention that kept me from planting the rest of the plants (I'm not really buying this though since the hail ended up not being big enough to do any serious damage anyway).

BTW- I'm pretty sure that you already know this, but just to be consistent, all of those linked pictures are from the web.

4 comments:

crazygramma said...

We don't get hail here much but I sure remember it as a kid in Manitoba, that stuff hurts. Glad no damage was done.

OldRoses said...

Hail is not a big problem here either. I even lucked out the one time we had a really bad hailstorm and I had just bought a new car. I managed to get under an bridge and rode out the storm in safety. The local car dealers lost a fortune in that storm because every car on their lots was severely damaged.

Anyways, glad to hear you had no significant damage. Hope you have a chance to get those plants in the ground. They are lovely.

Kasmira said...

Sometimes I think it's good for the plants to wait a bit before getting planted. They get a chance to become adjusted to the light conditions in their new home before they have to deal with being rudely thrust into strange soil.
I also like auditioning the plants in their new setting. Occasionally, I'll change my mind about where the should be planted after walking by the pots a few times.
As long as you keep them watered, a little wait shouldn't hurt!

Sylvana said...

Thanks OldRoses and CrazyGramma. I was really worried, but there wasn't anything I could have done anyway I guess. the hail was supposed to be 2" hail, but ended up being about the size of pencil erasers. Normally we don't get bad hail here- it usually turns to sleet before it hits the ground, but in the last 5 years I have had two awful experiences with hail. Hate the stuff!

Kasmira- that's a good idea, I do that a lot, too. My problem with not getting things in the ground right away is that I forget about them. Then before I know it, it is the end of August or September and OH MY GOSH! I NEVER PLANTED THAT! and now it is dead or hopeless. I had five plants that met their demise in that manner last year- and that was a good year!