Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Lily Photo Index

I found this great site where they have a photo index of tons of lilies! I found it during a search to figure out what the pale yellow asiatic lily that is now blooming in my garden is. There is no photo for Lemon Queen, unfortunately, but I think that is what it is. Or maybe Lemon Frost? They actually look like the Royal Fantasy in this index, but I don't recognize that name. I really hate it when I lose track of plant names. Anyway, here is the link to that awesome site! Lily Photo Index

I was also having trouble figuring out what was the difference between Asiatic and Oriental lilies. Snow Creek Gardens website (which has its own very nice collection of lily pictures) had a pretty good explanation:

Asiatic Hybrids generally have in their background many different Lilium species which originated from several areas of Asia. They are early-bloomers, usually with no fragrance, but multiply rapidly. Asiatics have the greatest range of colors and more variance in flower shape and bloomtime.

Oriental Hybrids were developed from only a few species native to Japan. They are heavily scented, with much larger flowers, and bloom later than most other types of Lilium. Many Oriental lilies have raised papillae in the petal nectaries. This "starfish-looking" characteristic will, at times, have yellow or crimson accents. Oriental bulbs tend to increase in size, with taller stems and more blooms each year. Because they slowly produce multiple bulbs from natural division, lift and divide bulbs every 3 to 5 years, or if stems become crowded.

Well, that helps, but I don't think it gives me a clear enough picture. If you have any extra information on this, please let me know.

6 comments:

crazygramma said...

I want one of each. I know I will be checking that site out again. Thank you.

Kasmira said...

That is very enlightening. I bought a bag of "100 Days of Lilies" at Walmart this spring. I planted the 25 bulbs in April. So far, only 12 plants have emerged from the dirt. Could it be that the first 12 are Asiatic Hybrids and the last 13 are Oriental Hybrids? I'd much rather that was the case than the last 13 being duds.

Diana LaMarre said...

Handy little reference site. Thank you.

Sylvana said...

CrazyGramma- I know!! I love them!!

Kasmira- Keep the hope alive! (but I think they should have come up by now. Have you checked to see if they are still there or if there are any roots? Rabbits and squirrels like to eat these bulbs- the squirrels especially here like to move them around).

Zoey- I am trying to find a way to contact them and bug them into getting more pictures up;) It has the potential for greatness.

Kasmira said...

If I don't get more sprouts, I'll just jam some more bulbs in the "lily trench" in the fall. (You can plant them in fall, right?) Considering the quality of WalMart's plants, I figure a 50% rate is pretty good for the bulbs.

Sylvana said...

Kasmira- I know that they don't even sell some lilies until the fall, so I'm guessing that you can plant lilies in the fall. I have actually had really good luck with Wal-marts Better Homes and Garden bulbs, I would recommend them. They are high quality and I have 100% rate on them.