Sunday, June 12, 2005

Texas Flame Tulips


These parrot tulips are done flowering this year, but I had this nice picture that I thought that some of you might enjoy. They are a parrot tulip and have a very large flower (what do they say about everything being bigger in Texas- I just remember that you aren't supposed to mess with Texas).

There are supposed to be five of them, but three of them decided not to flower this year. Sometimes bulbs need to take a break. In fact, if you see that your tulips aren't flowering well, you can try clipping off the flowers that year that way they can store energy instead of using it to make flowers. Give them a good dose of fertilizer that year, too, to give them a boost for next year. If they are really tired though, you may want to give them a two year break.

You should always clip the seed heads from your bulbs. They take up way too much energy from your bulbs. You may get some new tulips from them, but it will take YEARS before they will be big enough to actually bloom, so it's really not worth it.

2 comments:

OldRoses said...

Just fab!

Diana LaMarre said...

these are just beautiful. Oh, how I missed my tulips this year. Since the deer ate them ALL, I have to enjoy others pics. By the way, your ligularias are great, too. I will be awaiting pictures of the blooms.